This recipe has always been a big hit with my family and friends.
Sassy Spicy Salsa
Recipe Type: Appetizer, Dips
Serves: 6 quarts
[url href=”http://iyiyii.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/fresh-salsa-230.jpg”][img src=”http://iyiyii.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/fresh-salsa-230.jpg” alt=”Fresh Salsa for canning recipe” class=”alignleft”][/url]I have been making this Salsa for over 30 years. Sometimes I make up a small fresh batch but the majority of the time I prepare it for canning. I can never seem to make enough for my family and friends but I certainly take advantage of the bounty my gardens provide each year and I try to make enough to keep everyone happy. All recipes are pretty accurate but I have been doing this for so long that I often wing it and rarely measure. Somehow it always works.
- 8 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups green peppers, chopped
- 1 cup Jalapano peppers, finely chopped (remove seeds and pith if you like it mild)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced super thin
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup canning or kosher salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
- 2 tbs. lime juice (about the juice of one nice lime)
- 2 tbs. finely chopped cilantro (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- Mix together all ingredients in large non-reactive pot (stainless steel is perfect). Bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 mins. I generally simmer for about an hour to reduce the water from the Salsa. If it appears that it is not thickening enough, you can add a can of tomato paste if you like it thicker.
- Carefully ladle the hot Salsa into sterilized hot jars. Leave about 1/4 inch head space. Wipe lids of jars clean, place lid on and tighten the screw band finger tight.
- Process in boiling water for 15-20 mins., making sure the jars have at least an inch of water covering them.
- This recipe is for a medium hot chunky salsa. Adjust it for heat and or smoothness.
- I generally get about 6 quarts. You can double it if you like or even half it.
Just had to add this. My daughter-in-law just recently told me she added about a half a jar of this salsa to her chile recipe and she said it was a big hit with all 6 of her children. I’ll have to try that. The kids never cease to amaze me. So glad I could please them.
September 3, 2013 at 10:38 pm
Tried it and followed the recipe to a tee. Just wonderful. It was amazingly good. My husband and I ate a whole quart in one sitting. Way to go .. Thanks