Best Ever Cuban Lamb Shank Recipe
Recipe Type: Meats
[url href=”http://www.iyiyii.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/cuban-lamb-shanks-300×291.jpg”][img src=”http://www.iyiyii.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/cuban-lamb-shanks-300×291.jpg” width=”300″ height=”291″ class=”alignleft size-medium” title=”cuban-lamb-shanks” alt=”Cuban Lamb Shanks Recipe with red wine”][/url]I lived in Florida for awhile and there were many authentic Cuban restaurants that had fabulous food. I love Cuban food. It has a unique, spicy flavor. Here is a Lamb Shank recipe made Cuban style ala Mommom. I experimented over and over until I had made the very best and tastiest Lamb Shank ever. I used a very nice red wine to give it a great depth of flavor. Use a wine you personally like to drink, not just a cheap one. This might take awhile to make but it is definitely worth it. Enjoy
- 6 lamb shanks
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup flour for dredging
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil for frying
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce or 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon tumeric
- 2 cups chopped white onion
- 2 carrots, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1 lb. sliced mushrooms (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Generously season lamb shanks with salt, pepper, cumin, and paprika. I use my own blend “Sweet and Savory Rub” in this recipe.
- Dredge the seasoned lamb shanks in flour. Brown the meat in a frying pan with a little olive oil. Mix wine, beef stock, tomato sauce or paste, oregano, cumin, olive oil, and tumeric in a small bowl.
- Place the lamb shanks, onion, carrot, and garlic in a covered dutch oven (suitable for use in the oven). Pour the wine sauce over the meat and vegetables. Cover the pot and let the lamb shanks braise in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. (Add more sauce if needed to keep the shanks submerged halfway.) Turn the shanks, cover, and cook for another 11/2 hours or until the meat is fork tender.
- Carefully remove the shanks from the pot and keep warm. Reduce the sauce slightly by bringing to a boil and cooking off some of the water.
- Serve the shanks over white rice with the reduced sauce poured on top.
Serving size: 6